Sunday, February 18, 2007

That was some strange snow that passed through town today. I thought we had an Alberta Clipper come through yesterday. Lots of snow in the air, but hardly any accumulation. Today, I was stunned that I had to shovel snow. I finished before 10:00 a.m, only to see it snow like a mofo as I was heading out to Crocker Park at 11:30. Imagine my surprise when I get to I-90 at West Boulevard and the sun is out. All the way to Westlake.

Coming back after 2:00, it's still sunny out there. But on the way back in, it's that big black cloud that seems to hang over the city in the winter and it's snowing pretty hard. Here comes the shovel again. But it appears a heatwave is coming and maybe our 30 days of winter is over.

Meal of Links

I was at Crocker to see "Notes on a Scandal". This produced nominations for Cate Blanchett and Dame Judi Dench. Wow, all you women, stay away from the Dame in this one. Psycho! Nothing like a spinster scorned. BTW, Cate Blanchett is hot in this one. Once more, where were these teachers years ago? Hey, Philip Glass has the score on this one, too.

Two references in this one slayed me. The kid sleeping with Cate Blanchett says, "Were you a model? You're fit." Cate's reply, "Don't I know it." The Streets, hah! I wonder if in our little group of ten, I'm the only one who got that. The second was an EPL shoutout. Teacher is a Tottenham Hotspur fan and has just come from a game where Jermain Defoe has scored. Dame Judi mentions she had a relative who was a Charlton Athletic fan, "and it never seemed to do him any good." Charlton's record this year: 27 matches, 5 wins, 5 draws, 17 losses. With relegation looming, that was a wise choice.

Someone next to you bugging the shit out of you? Try this.

Another analysis of the "American Idol" finalists. Wake me up May 1.

Exercise Yard

HBO should be ashamed of last night's Boxing After Dark card. I'm a big Andre Berto fan and I know there was a sub fighter as his opponent, but my God, that was a joke. Berto put the guy down three times in the first round. In New York, that ends the fight.

The second fight went to the scorecards as one of "The Contender" fighters got beat. Extremely dull. The announcers Fran Charles, Max Kellerman and Lennox Lewis really should have been honest about how bad the proceedings were.

The third fight between Paulie Malignaggi and Edner Cherry was not much better. Malignaggi with the decision. Blue hair notwithstanding, it sucked. All in all, a really bad night for HBO Boxing when ring announcer David Diamante's hair is the highlight.

Visitor

None, it's Daytona 500 Sunday.

No comments: