Monday, February 05, 2007

I'm still trying to recover from hearing "52 Girls" by the B-52's at Giant Eagle, of all places. I'm wondering who is in charge of the tunes there, because I like it.

Hey, how about Prince still gettin' it done at the Super Bowl last night? And he had the FAMU band wearing glow sticks! I mean "Let's Go Crazy" was an obvious choice and "Purple Rain" in the rain was way cool. All on top of his stage/symbol, which he hasn't used in 7 years. And to sneak in a bunch of stuff into "Baby I'm a Star" like "All Along the Watchtower" a la Hendrix, "Proud Mary" and the Foo Fighters "The Best of You" (seriously, if they didn't know that was coming, what their reaction must have been!), well, that was just great. And the guitar protrusion behind the screen was a thing of genius. However, if that "grows" into a controversy, we may have Anne Murray next year in Arizona.

The game was rather dull, no? Chicago is thoroughly outplayed and still only trailed by 5 in the third quarter. That was scary. I didn't think they could win at that point, but if the Colts had blown that game, they would have never recovered as a team. Peyton Manning was MVP, no quibble there. I'm glad for Coach Dungy, I've been a big fan for years. And the Browns have already been installed as the longest shot (with Houston) on the board for next year's Super Bowl at 100-1. So, life moves ahead.

Quick take on the commercials: Not very impressive this year.

First off, all car ads during the SB suck. Always have, always will.

Movie trailer ads during the SB suck. Always have, always will.

Worst had to be Garmin. Great product, incredibly shitty ad. Unless you count Salesgenie.com which looks like a scam to me, even though the dude says he got results.

Good ones: Dave and Oprah; Fake dalmation for Budweiser; Snickers with the guys sharing the bar and maybe a kiss; Auctioneer at the wedding for Bud Light; Bud Light also had a good one with rock, scissors, paper; Blockbuster using the "mouse".

And, Becks, of course, at Chad Johnson's Super Bowl party.

Meal of Links

Can't believe I missed this one. Eddie Izzard(!) and Minnie Driver are set to star in "The Riches", coming next month to FX. I am there.

Kill sheep for fun. Test your reaction. I was a "Bobbing Bobcat" thrice and a "Rocketing Rabbit" once.

"I'm a PC. I'm a Mac" ads hit the UK. One guy thinks it's rubbish.

Exercise Yard

Chuck Klosterman takes a look at color analysts and if they were better during their playing days or on TV. He is dead on with his critique of Sean Salisbury.

Visitor

30 Across: Arkin of films (4 letters) Answer: Alan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you would be surprised at some of the music they play especially when you hear Morrissey----JMK