Saturday, January 20, 2007

Being single, there are times you wish you had a mate, mainly for the simple things of life. For instance, while watching TV, it's difficult to make witty comments when no one else is around. Oh, I'll do it, but I don't get any sort of a response back. Good thing is, unless you're Sybil, you get to watch what you want, when you want.

But there is something on CBS right now, that absolutely infuriates me. It's the damn clip they show for the new sitcom, "Rules of Engagement". It stars Puddy from "Seinfeld" and David Spade and a third guy. If you've watched playoff football on CBS the past two weekends, you realize this show is debuting soon. I think the premise is Puddy is married and the other two guys, including Spade, are wild and crazy singles.

Let me digress for a second. You know that the networks advertise other shows during the show you're watching. Typically, you are into a program when, all of a sudden, someone appears in the lower corner of the screen and they walk to a mark, where the show logo and broadcast times appear. The star usually walks out, folds their arms in a Carl Monday pose, and you find out what the show is. TNT, in particular, has a strange one where a tiny Kyra Sedgwick appears and then walks toward the camera, seemingly growing larger, and the words "The Closer" show up. It is startling to see during a basketball game.

Anyhow, during the CBS games, they may show a clip of "Rules of Engagement" or Jim Nantz will read the promo. But it always ends up with a posed shot of the three stars and David Spade is shimmying. I'm telling you, this must stop. It's not that he shimmies, although it might be, it's the way he shimmies. It may be shot at a slower speed even. But he steps in front of the other two guys and starts his dance. Sort of a shoulder and arm shimmy that is idiotic. It angers me unlike anything else these days. Especially during a football game. Honestly, I can't take it.

You can see it at the end of this clip:



Meal of Links

This guy loves "Eraserhead". There was a guy in college with hair like that. We called him, oddly enough, "Eraserhead".

Went to Johnny Mango last night. I had the dreaded El Diablo drink. Today, I have the dreaded curse of El Diablo.

Anthony Bourdain brings "No Reservations" to town. And he hits two of my favorites, Sokolowski's and the Sausage Shoppe

Exercise Yard

Tomorrow's NFL conference championship games look really good on paper. They start at 3:00.

Saints/Bears

I think the ability of the Saints to throw deep will determine the outcome here. They have a solid run game which may open up the pass, and Drew Brees has taken over from Mark Brunnell as the one who throws the best deep ball in the game. I wish I could be more confident with Rex Grossman at QB for the Bears. It's at home, which helps, but he has potential to lay a really big egg. I look for the Bears defense to play OK, but they have a tendency to give large chunks through the air. The Bears probably need 28 points to win. I don't think they will get it. Five months ago, I would have never said the following, I pick the Saints to win.

Patriots/Colts

An insanely fascinating matchup. Peyton Manning can finally beat the large, white whale of his career. Tony Dungy may finally get some validation as a head coach. Tom Brady, with new girlfriend in tow, can get to a 4th Super Bowl. Bill Belichick can again prove what a genius he is. Great stuff.

The last two times they've played, the Colts have won. But they were not playoff games. The Colts have shut down the run in the playoffs, and that performance has come from nowhere, as they were one of the worst run defenses ever. The Patriots have struggled in their two playoff games, but beat a really good Charger team last week, on the road. I think it shapes up as a great game.

I believe the Pats will spread out and try and run the ball early to see if that Colt defense is for real. If they have success, they may control the game. However, with this game in Indy, the Colts will prevail. I don't think the Patriots are what they used to be in the secondary, and I think the Colts can take advantage.

Visitor

1 Across: "Are you gellin'?" sloganeer (9 letters) Answer: Dr. Scholl's

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A mate? Marriage? "They're prisons. Man made prisons. You're doing time. You get up in the morning. She's there. You go to sleep at night. She's there. It's like you gotta ask permission to use the bathroom. Is it all right if I use the bathroom now?...." and after a couple of years she may not find your quips funny any more!!!! PFS

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the shimy. Another disturbing commercial was the newest Orville Redenbacher. I know this guy is dead but are they doing a computer generated version? It is just weird!
I think you need to get a dog instead of a mate. Then the neighbors (or the mailman) won't think you are crazy when you "quip" out loud.