Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Browns lost 32-25 today. Good sign is that we didn't give up. Bad sign is we couldn't stop the run when San Diego actually decided it was a good strategy. Geez, they really kept us in this game via stupid play calling and duh-umb penalties. Glad to see Marty Schottenheimer keeps his Dad employed as "sideline-marker guy", you know, the one that was run over by Winslow. Next up: Michael Vick. Not in HD.

I saw the phenomenon that is "Borat" this morning. It was easily the funniest movie this year. Sacha Baron Cohen impresses me, McMahon, and I don't impress that easily. This guy gets it. He is a combination of Andy Kaufman, Bill Hicks and Peter Sellers. He drives his audience to the point where they hate him or at least feel extremely uncomfortable like Kaufman, has a social commentary side to his comedy like Hicks, while fitting comfortably into many guises like Sellers. He is that good. This is the type of comedy we need, to push that envelope. It happens rarely, but when it does, it must be encouraged. His weekend box office blew all of the predictions out of the water and, I would think, guarantee a sequel.

Yeah, there is a lot of crude humor in this one. But check your prudidity at the door. When he meets with Alan Keyes, the former Presidential candidate and says, "So, what you telling me is man who offered to put rubber arm up my ahnus last night was homosexual?", that's too funny for words. The closing credit "Mr. Cohen's feces provided by..." is a gem. The hotel wrestling match was, arguably, one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie. You must see it.

Meal of Links

After a day of losing money yesterday, why not do something appropriate like clean the bathroom? By staying in, it afforded me the opportunity to see some TV last night. I can't pimp Sufjan Stevens enough, as he and his orchestra were on "Austin City Limits". I will see this guy next time he comes to town. They crammed four songs in 25 minutes of airtime. This is rerun on Channel 49 on Thursday at 2:00 a.m. Nice use of Catholic bells on "Casimir Pulaski Day". And he dedicated "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head!" to Jack White and...himself. Which was funny.

I also got see to Bernie Kosar on "America's Most Wanted". I would say he comes from the Jack Webb School of Acting, as I'll charitably describe him as wooden. As an aside, you can really see Bernie's illness taking shape. It's very sad.

Lastly, I saw "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" on cable. You must watch this movie. It was really unique and I know what killed this at the box office. The trailer! The studio had no idea how to sell this one and it showed. I didn't see it in the theater because of that. It looked dumb. Conversely, it was one of the more inventive flicks out there, from the opening title sequence and the narration through the close. Check it out.

Chalabi says it's better to be America's enemy than its friend. Hey, I thought mission was accomplished.

The experts predict the 2006 election results. I think the R's will win the Senate, and the D's gain in the House, but not the overwhelming numbers some are predicting.

Exercise Yard

The crowd at Chase Field in Phoenix wasted no time booing the Briggs-Liakhovich fight last night on Showtime. They were hooting after Round 1. At one time I thought the ring girls were gonna be the only highlight. But it points out why people simultaneously love and hate the heavyweights. They love it when the heavyweights throw the big bombs, but a lot of fighters don't want to get hit with those big bombs. That's why we have a fight that suffered from Dancing Bear Syndrome.

Briggs finally followed up a big punch in the last minute of Round 12 to put Liakhovich down. Then Briggs put him down a second time, as Liakhovich fell out of the ring, to win the fight. Not sure if a punch put Liakhovich through the ropes or if he gave up Wallenda-like and fell through. Anyhow, we waited for 11.66 rounds to see some action. Briggs is now the only American currently holding a belt, his from the WBO.

Of course, the good fight last night was on PPV, with the rerun next week on HBO.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about "Kiss, Kiss". Funny, smart, suspense, good acting. I saw it this summer and thought maybe I was the only one who liked it. The studios did botch this one. Love RD jr. I hope he stays clean & sober.