Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's warm out, the kind of day that screams "ditch class" or, at the very least, "alfresco dining". Gale and I headed over to Crocker Park for some chow. We ended up at Aladdin's Eatery (turn sound down on site). I like it there. I had a great seat and stared at some random gorgeous woman while I was stuffing myself. Gale, on the other hand, had a view of people fainting on their way out of the Cheesecake Factory. Seating was totally luck of the draw. You see, the sun was shining and... When we (or was it I?) saw that woman at Trader Joe's afterward, it bordered on stalking.

Anyhow, food was superb, as usual. We plowed through the vegetarian combo. I have no idea what half that crap was, but it was good. You say falaffel and I say fa-laugh-el. Not a fan of dawali (grape leaves) though. Washed that appetizer down with a really good rolled spicy kafta. Now I feel like the Underdog float at Macy's.

Meal of Links

With the bombing of the trains (the new Pamplona?) in Bombay, all I could think about was that old Police song, "Bombs Away" in old Bombay. Then people start talking about Mumbai, which is what Bombay is now called. Hey, it took me years to refer to it as Beijing, and "it'll always be Burma to me", but why did the Bombay/Mumbai change occur? Here's why. And it only happened 11 years ago.

What's with HBO? No "Sopranos" until March. Looks like no new "Curb Your Enthusiasm" until 2007. They better find some "Extras" episodes.

Two Kentucky Derby winners are in the news. The 2006 winner, Barbaro, is fighting death because of a sore tootsie. And 2002 winner, War Emblem...well...he's gay.

Exercise Yard

While waiting for the sports world to pick up, there is new visual evidence regarding the Zidane headbutt. Plus, there are some decent stories floating about concerning activities at our nation's ballparks.

I keep waiting for the Indians to allow randoms to sleep over at Jacobs Field. Hopefully, the scouts who were able to do that last week didn't screw it up for the future. The Dodgers had their first sleepover last weekend. Sounds like fun. The Giants cut their price to $180 for their sleepover this year.

SI has a series where writers are hitting the road for some baseball trips. I think I've found the place for me. The Duck Blind in Madison, WI. Are you kidding me? Minor league baseball, including all the beer and food you can cram down your gullet for $32.

Visitor

3 Down: "Elephant Boy" actor (3 letters) Answer: Sabu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dumped HBO. HBO without Curb and The Sopranos is like the Cavs without Lebron....nothing to watch. Sleepover? Looks like Tingley wants to do the Tinkley on the field that sin built! I wonder if "Canteen Boy" made an appearance at the scout sleepover?
PFS