Saturday, June 24, 2006

While I'm munching on an eggplant sandwich, I'm wondering what is it with eye patches that makes me so insensitive? I had gone eons without seeing anyone with an eye patch, and now I've seen two in the last two days. I guess I should perhaps question how they got the patch, maybe empathize with them a bit, but the first thing that enters my mind is pirate talk. "Arrr matey, I lost me eye in a battle with a hook. Captain Hook. Arrr." Happens every time.

Meal of Links

I got some good news as my credit score is back up to 799. I use the service called myFICO. If you're curious, I recommend it highly.

I think fireworks are lame. And I'm not sure I am hip to amateurs handling them. Having said that, business is booming.

The World Cup entered the Round of 16 today. From this point forward, if you lose, you go home. And after Extra Time, we go to kicks. First game had Germany against the Swedes. Germany went out in front quickly as Podolski had 2 goals in the first 15 minutes. The ref sent off the Swede, Teddy Lucic, in the 38th minute and he didn't laughingly send him off. I thought it was more of a "Hey, you put me in a rough spot there, pal. I have to do it." So, they played with 10 the rest of the way. The Swedes had one more chance in the second half with a Penalty Kick, but Larsson missed as he skied one seemingly 20 rows up in the stands.

In the second match, it was Argentina vs. Mexico. Tough match, as Mexico scored early and Argentina responded quickly. It stayed that way until the end of regulation. In Extra Time, Maxi Rodriguez probably had the goal of the Cup thus far, by volleying one off his chest and hammering it while it was in the air into the upper corner for the 2-1 win. Friday, it's Germany-Argentina, a great matchup.

World Cup Photo of the Day


















Usually the best player wears 10.

Exercise Yard

All you need to know about last night's Indians game was Aaron Harang threw a complete game shutout at the Featherheads. Gale and I attended this one and I think the best part was eating nachos. No, not those Larry Dolan "saving our cheese product" ones, but the good kind, with lots of stuff on it.

The game itself was a yawner. Not sure if it's rock bottom, but the starting lineup contained Shoppach, Hollandsworth and Gutierrez. Sadly it was the third-highest crowd of the season and it clocked in at only 32,927. The games ahead of that were Opening Day, obviously, at 42,445 and 37,496 against Texas in April. The other games that reached 30,000 were the entire Pittsburgh series and Memorial Day. Look for major ticket dumping after the Yankee series.

Visitor

15 Across: Obsequious Dickens character (9 letters) Answer: Uriah Heep

No comments: