Sunday, June 18, 2006

Today was the first time I've been to the Golden Corral. Since it was Fathers Day, we went with my Dad to get some breakfast. I think I've discovered the appeal of this place.

First of all, it's a cheap buffet. That means you draw folks in any order of your choice, including all four: Urban people, senior citizens, white trash, large people. Because when you're there, you just start grazing. Or gorging. My God, I think I had my quarterly allotment of both bacon and sausage. You don't even have to grab a new plate, they keep hauling plates to your table. Destroy one and fill up the next one. Keep running back for omelettes, waffles, salad, desserts, cookies, ice cream, grits, biscuits, etc.

It appears that if you get there around 10:00 as we did, you can stick around for lunch items. When those start to show up, you can hear the buzz through the crowd. "They're starting to put up lunch items.", "...oooh, lunch items!", "...guy's makin' steaks." I think some folks could stay all day if they like. A veritable playground for the kiddies, as they are runnin' around grabbin' food. I thought it an interesting experience.

Meal of Links

Save Screech's House.

While I'm here eating eggplant, North Korea is fueling an ICBM. What a wacky world.

Watched the Wright-Taylor fight on Home Box Office last night from Memphis, the new Mecca of pugilism. I love Winky Wright, he has such a unique defensive style that always gives his opponents fits. Anyhow, last night's fight was a draw. Taylor was dynamite in the middle of the ring, but Winky was far superior on the ropes. Why did Taylor keep going to the ropes? I dunno. Lots of clashes of heads, with Taylor getting the worst of one which closed his left eye. Winky's lack of that big KO punch hurt him again.

Winky definitely didn't do a whole lot in the final round, but I'm hard pressed to figure out how Taylor won the round on two scorecards. Because I thought he did a whole lot less. Wright was up 115-113 on card, down 115-113 on another, and the third judge had it 114-114. Not sure we'll see a rematch, but it was a very entertaining match.

The only one with their reputation sullied was Lennox Lewis, who is starting to channel George Foreman's commentary skills. He kept saying both fighters were constantly doing the right thing. I guess in a draw they can be, but he is currently adding nothing to the broadcast.

World Cup Photo of the Day













"I dance like Bebeto."

Exercise Yard
















FIGJAM lost the US Open! An epic collapse of Van de Velden proportions on the last. "I'm such an idiot."

Visitor

None, it's Fathers Day.

No comments: