Sunday, May 07, 2006

It's the first weekend in May and what can that mean? Not only was it time for the Kentucky Derby, it's also time for the Senior Olympics. For the first time in eons, I was off the Derby Trail this year. I fell behind in my viewing of the prep races, as I was in Hawaii for the first two weekends and never got caught up. So, I really was unaware of who was good or who was bad. I thought Barbaro looked pretty good in winning the Derby by 6.5 lengths, but I'm not convinced the field was that great.

Much like Burgess Meredith in Rocky, I am in charge of training my Dad for this year's Senior Olympics. He finally got a medal last year by winning the foul shooting contest, using the underhanded-Rick Barry style. Last night, my brother and I accompanied him to the training table provided by a dinner at Sokolowski's, the true Breakfast of Champions. Humongous portions followed by that ubiquitous piece of pie, always gets everyone in shape for the upcoming week. Today, we went through some foul shooting drills and I think our chucker has a chance at a medal again this year. I think darts, miniature golf, perhaps billiards and maybe polo or something are also on the event list.

Meal of Links

Don't forget, David Blaine may die on TV tomorrow. Let's see if he can break out of those chains before expiring.

The benefits of Melatonin may actually be true. Especially if you work the gravyard shift.

Smith & Wesson makes a comeback with a product that has three times the muzzle energy of the "most powerful handgun in the world." "You've got to ask yourself a question...do I feel lucky?"

Exercise Yard

Maybe I should not have been disappointed in not securing some Cavs Round 2 playoff tickets. They certainly showed in the regular season they don't match up well with the Pistons, and it continued today. Not much to say, just an awful game. I'm sure the excuses will point toward the short layoff between series, followed by a Game 1 road game. Would an extra day have helped? Maybe, but the result would have been the same. They need to get over this one quickly. The Cavs lose, 113-86.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: