Saturday, April 08, 2006

Another successful Tribe Home Opener is in the books. The temperature was cold (fog rolled in), the beer was cold (with amateur vendors who couldn't add), and the Indian bats were hot. They pounded the crap out of the ball. The dreaded Casey Blake hit a Granny and Travis Hafner had two homers, as well. Byrd (can I call him "Birdie"?) pitched well enough to win and it was a good day all around. Some might even refer to it as "the best Opening Day ever".

Random Notes:

Opening Day is one of the few times you can use the word bunting and it's not about baseball.

I ran into one of my favorite co-workers of yesteryear before the game at Alesci's, who I had not seen in quite a long time. She bought me a beer and that was nice. A pleasant surprise.

The best line of the day had to be, "He had a bladder like a hippopotamus."

Casey Coleman threw out the first pitch and he was not lookin' so good.

I did not eat a hot dog since it was a Friday and only had a bit of popcorn and some peanuts. But I did have beer. Make that plural.

Hanna Garage charged $20 to park. I only mention that because I think for the rest of 2006, I can park on the street. I choose to pay only on St. Pat's and Opening Day, and steadfastly refuse lots at other times. Emergencies or anger excepted.

A beer vendor was going to charge us $16.25 for 3 beers at $5.75 per. I'm sensing Cleveland Public School graduate.

Slider has a new Ho Train, known as "The Fun Bunch". Ugh.

When Aaron Boone steps in, people start saying, "Boo-o-o-o-o-o". Seems like it's a good-sounding "Boo" presently. It can change though. Casey Blake, on the other hand, knows what that word means when he steps in.

K.C. of Sunshine Band fame sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". Can't say it was exciting, just that it happened and I was there to see it.

Cletus set off fireworks after Victor Martinez hit a DOUBLE. Then after Larry Dolan pitched a fit about the cost, scaled back on the fireworks when actual homers were hit later.

Meal of Links

Am I bad person? (Link goes to review...if seeing this one, skip) I was going to see "Lucky Number Slevin" at Ridge Park. Even though it's the closest multiplex to me, it's not the modern stadium seating of which I have been accustomed. But, I thought I would go there and give it a shot.

As I'm walking across the parking lot, I notice a group of mentally challenged people, accompanied by two squad leaders (for lack of a better term) heading for the box office. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure what movie this group was going to understand. Some were of the staring variety, some of the grunting variety, and some were wheeled in. I'm thinking "Ice Age 2", maybe "Benchwarmers", so I wait to hear which one they are going to see. The girl says, "Ten for "Lucky Number Slevin." Are you kidding me? I couldn't go in. I waited for another show. Does that make me bad? Trust me, I care, I really do, about the less fortunate. Just not during this particular movie.

Anyhow, I went to a later show at a different cineplex, the Regal Beagle on Bagley. Can't say much about the movie, but I thought it was well-acted. It's just, well, I can't reveal anything. Other than Lucy Liu was funny.

Hey, Judas may not be such a bad dude. Sort of like "Judas Is Scary Not".

"Joker...Joker...Joker". Prankster puts a fake sign on a Detroit highway.

Exercise Yard

I'm not sure why, but the death of Maggie Dixon struck me as being very sad.

Visitor

10 Across: "Daisy Miller" author (5 letters) Answer: James

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Staring and Grunting (plus a lot of groaning)is about how you watch the losing Browns when you come over. Maybe I should invite your friends from the special bus to help you feel at home..... NO you're not BAD, just "special". PFS