Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I went out to Crocker to see the "Coachella" premiere. It was in one of the smaller theatres at the Regal. It was the most I paid for a movie ever, $12.50. Not one preview, just continuous commercials for Big Screen Concerts. And I may have been the oldest one there, easily in the top ten. I knew this when I held the door open for a younger female on the way in and she said, "You are so awesome!". Ain't that the truth.

Anyhow, the documentary was OK. It seemed they had a habit of filming band's opening or closing numbers, regardless if they were the best performances or not, simply for crowd reaction. I think 24 bands were featured. Iggy and the Stooges did "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and that was a highlight. The White Stripes, Oasis, Bjork, the Pixies, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead were probably the most recognizable bands. Lots of electronica including Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers and The Crystal Method.

Noel Gallagher of Oasis probably had the most interesting comments when he said musicians probably couldn't change the world. As he put it, "Most people don't go to a gig to hear someone read the news." He's got a point. But I think music can lift you up and take you to some really cool places, if you let it.

Meal of Links

Everyone knows Hollywood has run out of ideas. "Magnum P.I." confirms that once again.

"Criss Cross" wins the Newbery Award. Then pulls up its pants.

Kanye West poses as Jesus on the cover of the latest Rolling Stone. Mike Myers is not in the background.

Exercise Yard

I guess the Indians really didn't want to trade Coco Crisp. I was never sold on how that deal improved the club. It's almost as if the Boston media willed it to happen.

Visitor

32 Across: Folk singer DiFranco (3 letters) Answer: Ani

No comments: