Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The TV arrived today! Stand took about an hour to build. Thankfully, the family credo of "Thou shalt not use power tools." did not have to be invoked. It was easy and it hasn't fallen apart yet. The instructions had few words, mostly pictures. That helped.

But I have a half-assed setup presently because the lady at Adelphia didn't give me a cable with a female part. The box is kinda in the corner, while the TV is in a different position. However, everything is hooked up (I have seemingly 10 pounds of wires criss-crossing everywhere.) and it works. I have some DVDs with the video works of Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze to give it the true test. So I absolutely cranked "The Hardest Button to Button" by The White Stripes and "Elektrobank" by the Chemical Brothers. I love both of those, but the latter has Sofia Coppola as a gymnast in it. Simply put, this new system ROCKS!

Plus there's nothing like seeing the World Series of Poker in HD. Sadly, not all the programming is top-notch. Tanchak's still a goofball though.

Meal of Links

Sharon Osbourne comes correct in the Iron Maiden fiasco. I'd be demanding a refund if I was there.

This is neat. MIT scientists have figured out how to prevent glasses from fogging up. Why, this happened to me today. How timely. Now that I have to watch TV from my kitchen because of the large screen, anything to save my eyes is welcomed.

All right, it's "RockStar:INXS" in HD. We are down to 6 rockers. Brooke Burke with a fugly outfit and there is a choir for backup duty tonight. Ty starts out with "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Stones. He hits this one out of the park. JD does "Suspicious Minds". I don't think he did a bad job, even though he copped to being an Elvis impersonator. Oddly enough, no televised reactions from our band, INXS, during this song. Mahtee, Mahtee, Mahtee. Haven't sipped the Kool-Aid yet, but let's say the envelope is in the pantry. Killer version of "Wish You Were Here". Does "American Idol" even try songs like these?

Jordis is up next with "Imagine". Very good version of this one. MiG follows with "Live and Let Die" with special guest backup vocals by yours truly. "You know ya did, You know ya did, You know ya did." Odd song placement. He did a great job, but I agree with the criticism of singing over the instrumental parts. Dude, learn some Elvis moves or something to pass away the time between vocals. Suzie concludes with "Bohemian Rhapsody". Our band, INXS, seemed to be falling over themselves about this version. I thought it was OK, at best.

Very tough to choose tonight. I'd say the bottom three are JD, Jordis and Ty. MiG and Mahtee love are off the charts, so they'll be safe tonight. Suzie will come through as Jordis will be penalized for last week. JD is slip-sliding away and Ty is the "Queen of the Bottom Three".

Early bottom three voting reveals: JD, Ty, and Mahtee(?). Another hour-long show tomorrow. Must be a payback to advertisers for closing shop earlier than anticipated.

Exercise Yard

If you haven't already, it's time to start reading Gregg Easterbrook each Tuesday.

Visitor

50 Down: Rock guitarist Jeff (4 letters) Answer: Beck

1 comment:

Nicamon said...

Jim!
Finally a blog page that is articulate, funny and thought provoking....on so many topics! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Now my faith in bloggers is restored. Peace.