Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I actually watched "The Runaway Bride" special. I think I shaved a few points off the IQ with that exercise. One thing we learned is that although she's still engaged, she may not be the right woman for her fiance. Plus she's been suicidal since birth and had pills with her on the Greyhound. She's so screwy, they can't put a label on it.

Anyhow, two things disturbed me as I was driving around town today. Number one is the driver who has to look at every car they pass. I've never understood this. But I was behind an old-timer who, each time he was even with the car to his right, looked over. "Turn to the right. Face front." I could not wait to get around this geezer.

The other thing can be described as icky. I am amazed at how many guys slow down to check out girls who can't be older than 12. If there are any girls walking around, these Sedan Lotharios are slowing it down and giving them the eye. Man, that is creepy. Or, perhaps, that's just my neighborhood.

Meal of Links

A music day.

Yee haw. The White Stripes are coming. To The State.

Radiohead tops the list of best albums since 1985. Sadly, no Irene Cara.

Mel B, perhaps the most sane of the group, doesn't want the "Spice Girls" to reform at Live 8. I'm sensing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" as the most appropriate reunion platform.

Exercise Yard

I am kinda tired today as I got in late after going to the Indians-Red Sox game last night. It was the first game I had seen in over a month. Larry Dolan has to be scratching his head as they only drew a bit over 30,000 fans with a good matchup and good weather. And there were a lot of Sox fans there, front-runners to be sure. And you knew that someone would be tossed out of the bleachers and, sure enough, some Tribe fans got the boot about halfway into the game. It looked like an overblown incident to me, but Jacobs Field is “the family place to be”.

I bet it was the longest nine-inning game this year, as it didn’t end until almost 11:00, but I know it was the most laborious game I’ve sat through since the Hargrove era. Too many pitching changes, David Wells threw 110 pitches in five of the most anguishing innings you’ll ever sit through, and Alan Embree comes in for mop-up work for the Sox in the 8th and throws 30 pitches to (gulp!) only four batters. It was agony.

And Wedgie absolutely left C.C. out there to die, when he had nothing, and I’m not really sure where that was coming from. The crowd was pretty frosty and booed C.C. pretty good. Then Wedgie kept Riske out there for a second inning in the ninth and Damon homered, and not sure about that move either. Wedgie is back in the big leagues now (after destroying the NL West) and needs to manage the game much better than he did yesterday.

Meanwhile, I had to suffer with this kid behind me who kept kicking me for about five innings. I finally snapped and told him, “Dude, you wanna cool it with the feet?”. He went into the old, “My bad, my bad.”, figuring eventually it would come to this. I finished him off with the death stare while saying, “You’d have to admit. I’ve been pretty patient with you.” (Darth: “Leave the kicking boy to me.”) I couldn’t wait to get my Diet Coke with the Geritol chaser after that. Now where are those kids on my lawn? They need rousting.

Visitor

9 Down: French essayist _______ de Saint-Exupery (7 letters) Answer: Antoine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Expectations on Sabathia are way too high. He gets boo'd because he is a poor "ace" and shouldn't have been hyped as one. At best he has the discipline, work habits and the killer instinct of a #3.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough dad says the same thing as PFS does.Cliff Lee at this stage is a little bit better than Cheese Cake Sabbathia
JMK