Sunday, January 02, 2005

My brother and I and 120 (yes, only 120) of the hippest folks in town took in the Was (Not Was) show at the House of Blues last night. The band is back! As Don Was said, "This is only our 4th gig in 14 years, so we are gonna play our asses off." There are so many elements to this group, but I've always thought it most resembled George Clinton's band (at the HOB in a couple of weeks), although in a more organized way and a helluva lot funnier. David Was introduced the song, "I Blew Up The United States" by saying, "We recorded this song in 1990, and sorry we had to be prophetic. But we're dedicating the song to all the victims...of 11-2. Election Day!!!" That made me laugh. "I Feel Better Than James Brown" which is a funny take on "I Feel Good" was another highlight with the stanza:

I was attending Mardi Gras with Fidel Castro
Buxom cross dressers threw fake gold coins at our feet
As we discussed the fate of the revolution
Suddenly, CIA men dressed in bikinis
Tried to stab us with fountain pens
Fidel blew mustard gas from his cigar
And immobilized the lot of them
19 tequilas later we had a deal
Havana goes back to the mob
And Fidel and I open a chain of Kentucky Fried Chicken shops


Funk music at its finest.

The Twinemen from Boston were the openers. Speaking of prophetic, my brother said, "I guess they're trying to sound like Morphine." After that song, the lead songstress said, "A lot of people get pissed off about that last song and say we are trying to ripoff Morphine." Unbeknownest to either one of us at the time, the drummer and sax guy were in Morphine!

Meal of Links

Some dudes tried to rob the World Series of Poker champ, "The Fossilman", at the Bellagio. Apparently, they couldn't get "all in" his pockets.

More ass photos from The Sun. Of course, Kylie Minogue is there.

Take a look at the 2004 Office Attachment Awards.

Exercise Yard

Iowa beats LSU in an improbable finish at the Capital One Bowl. Safety David Spade was out of no-sition on the play.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: