Friday, December 10, 2004

Isolation Thought

I drop in occasionally on "The Alternative" on VH1 Classic. Sure, you get videos you have not seen in a while. Last night's episode had Talk Talk with the original "It's My Life", Lene Lovich-"New Toy" (written by Thomas Dolby, who is in the video), some Paul Westerberg, and Sinead O'Connor (I had forgotten that MC Lyte (for the old schoolers) showed up and ruined the "I Want Your Hands on Me" video). Hey, I know she went daft, but I still think Sinead looks pretty good with a shaved head.

Anyhow, my point is that you get very comfortable seeing these old videos. You see bad camera techniques, lots of animals running around, really dopey stuff. So, you cruise through the show and then there comes a moment in each epsiode where time stops. Because they never fail to come up with a video where you look at the TV, mouth agape, after saying, "What the fuck is this?" Yesterday, that moment arrived with "Control I'm Here" by Nitzer Ebb. Not really sure what actually happens in this video. "Hey, it's black and white...now it's color...what's that guy doing?...A priest?...Boy, he's hittin' that drum hard...Why is the singer wearing a Nitzer Ebb shirt?" Very confusing. Thank God, a few videos later, it was "Jesus Built My Hotrod" by Ministry. That'll make you stay awake.

Meal of Links

Here are some musicians who never recovered from releasing a Christmas single. The Vandals are doing quite nicely, thank you.

Christmas. A great time for...Bubble Wrap!!!

BTW, last week's episode of "Arrested Development" was genius. Omigod, they had Peanuts Christmas references!!! Whenever something terrible happened, they played "Christmas Time is Here" as the character got the "Gumby Shoulders" and slinked away. They even had the son, George Michael, pass a doghouse with a beagle on it! "I should be in that poof!" might be the line of the year.

Exercise Yard

Track is getting tough on dopers. Michelle Collins got banned without a positive test. And for 8 years. Wow.

Visitor

I am protesting today's dumbass theme: 37 across "Artless". Nonsensical.

No comments: