Saturday, October 02, 2004

Isolation Thought

There may be a freeze warning for hell tonight, because I am seeing Bruce Springsteen at the Vote for Change Tour at the Gund. It is the first Springsteen show I've seen in 26 years. Of course, I was just a lad back then.

I did not mean to give short shrift to the debate the other day, but I just don't think it can move Kerry up significantly. It was revealed in spades, however, that we have a dumbass for a President. But if you subscribe to the Republican theory that "Americans is stupid.", you can see how difficult it is to convince the general public that Dumya is an idiot.

Bush made many hilarious statements. "You forgot Poland!!!" had to be at the top. We all know that Presidenting is "hard work. I see it on TV." How about "mexed missages", "transshipment", he called the mullahs "moo-lahs", and he told two jokes when he knew the audience was forbidden to make noise. Then he said he'd like to put his twins "on a leash" (mmmm...), conveniently forgetting that was the restraint of choice at Abu Gharib. If re-elected, this guy will be a lamer duck than Governor Tax.

I had a terrific meal at The Town Fryer last night. This is a cozy Southern joint at 39th and Superior, formerly the Chung Wah. To paraphrase Jerry Maguire, "You had me at Chicago-style hot dog...or was it the Po' Boy?" Each item I had was really, really good. They must be getting somewhat popular because they ran out of some items by dinner time, including cornbread, brownies and banana pudding. My meal consisted of an Aloha Bob, which is skewers of ham, pineapple and cherry fried in a tempura-based batter. I had meat loaf and mashed potatoes (as Marv Albert would say, "YES!!! And it counts!!!), a taste of their fried chicken (man, no grease at all) and topped it off with a lemon square. And I had iced tea, too. And a pretty eclectic jukebox, as I played Dwight Yoakam, Elvis Costello, Little Feat, Asleep at the Wheel and U2. They also have PB&J, grilled cheese and BLTs on the menu. And the owner/chef told us with her cute accent, "Thank y'all for comin'." A cool place.

Meal of Links

Mel Brooks thinks Toronto bagels are mushy. Kind of like the idea for "Spaceballs 2".

Mel Gibson has a stalker who wants to pray with him. Apparently, too much Passion.

Mel Martinez seems to lie a lot in his Florida Senate campaign.

Exercise Yard

Mel Allen isn't around anymore, but TWIB is celebrating its 700th episode today. How about that?

Visitor

16 Across: Seven-time Best Actor nominee (11 letters) Answer: Peter O'Toole

No comments: