Thursday, September 09, 2004

Isolation Thought

I set a personal best at the dentist this a.m. when he said, "When we do a root canal, most people have 2 canals. Some have 3. Very few have 4. You have 4." Thank you, Jesus. The cool thing was it didn't take too long, as I think the status of the tooth allowed for easy access. This is the beginning of the last of my procedures for a while, I think.

I used to think Tom Sizemore was a decent actor, as he did nice turns in "Heat", "Saving Private Ryan", and especially "True Romance". He is starring in the new ESPN movie about Pete Rose, and like many other (make that all) ESPN movies, this one has all the appearances of a dog. However, one scene in the commercial for "Hustle" makes me laugh out loud. Sizemore is wearing sunglasses and appears to be walking on an airport tarmac, wearing a fur coat. I'm tellin' ya, he looks like Sonny Bono!!! I don't think of Pete Rose as a great athlete, but my God, I never thought he looked like an offkey singer from the 60's either. Anyhow, look for some sort of weird DVD collection eventually of these ESPN movies. Do not buy it.

Meal of Links

The NFL starts its season today. It amazes me how the NFL has surpassed MLB in popularity, and did it so easily. Looking back, I cannot believe it took Paul Tagliabue so long to be elected the commissioner. The NFL has such a position of strength these days, and they don't have a team in LA, which is truly amazing. Here is Bill Simmons' two part take on the new season. And why is Tom Jackson yelling like Stephen A. Smith right now on ESPN's NFL pre-game show, previewing "Monday Night Countdown", easily the most urban sports program on TV.

This year's Raiderette squad is wearing boots designed by Carlos Santana. I always wondered how Browns cheerleaders would look. I'm convinced they'd be in winter duds by November 1.

What's up with British rock these days? Franz Ferdinand wins the Mercury Prize. "Take Me Out" might be my favorite record of the year.

What does Lauren Bacall have against Nicole Kidman?

Exercise Yard

Federer beats Agassi at the U.S. Open. Match of the tournament, thus far. Look for Lleyton Hewitt to win. He has been under the radar, playing flawlessly.

Visitor

12 Down: Country singer Axton (4 letters) Answer: Hoyt

No comments: