Sunday, September 05, 2004

Isolation Thought

I feel like Aldo Nova this morning, baecause I have to get my fantasy teams together. I'm still plugging away with NASCAR and, of course, the NFL starts Thursday night.

NASCAR has replaced the traditional Labor Day race, the Southern 500, with an evening race from SoCal. I play the ESPN game where you pick 5 drivers. It's these type of races I like, because if you pay attention, you can sneak someone on your team cheaply. That means a guy like the semi-retired Bill Elliott can be had for a song. Plus, he got me a Top Ten at the Brickyard and qualified third for this race. I like my chances.

Moving on to football. I don't play any fantasy games for money. They take up too much time and being a competitive sort, I really like watching football a lot, so I can't watch a game in pain if my fantasy guys stink that particular week. So, I play the Sporting News game for free. Here is my roster (2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs and a defense):

Byron Leftwich and Jake Delhomme, QB
Rudi Johnson and Corey Dillon, RB
Laveranues Coles and Andre Johnson, WR
Bears defense

I think it looks pretty good, except I don't have a real stud at any position. Maybe as the season proceeds, there'll be be a breakout rookie (like Anquan Boldin), who I can get cheaply, but we'll see.

BTW, two awesome food items at the Taste of Cleveland. Shrimp rolls from the Mekong River (not the Mekong Delta as I mistakenly called it during a Nam flashback) and Don Pablo's Chocolate Volcano Cake which must have increased my sugar level twofold.

Meal of Links

The buildup to Clinton's heart surgery is taking about as long as Hurricane Frances took to come on shore.

In case you are bewildered by all of the violence in Chechnya, this should help explain a lot of things.

A list of politiclaly-themed movies debuting this fall. Good to see another John Sayles film, "Silver City" coming out. I've always liked his films.

Exercise Yard

Well, my two favorite college football teams played and, as always, Michigan beat Miami. We'll see how Miami does with a new QB this year. But quite the debut from a Michigan freshman, who obviously didn't realize he had over 100,000 people watching.

Visitor

None, it's Sunday.

No comments: